The YDHAT Train Ride Survey results are in!!
Thanks to everyone who were able to complete the YDHAT Train Ride Survey. Over 10 people said the event was very unique to extremely unique, and 83% said it was a great deal of value for the event.
Some open-ended questions were asked and here are the responses. All answers were anonymous.
What did you like about YDHAT 2014 Train Ride Event?
1. "A very good experience. My first time on a train."
2. "The ride itself."
3. "Making memories with my family and with other people who have a special needs person in their life. No one pointed or stared because we are all in the same boat (train)."
4. "The snacks, the views, the opportunity to get out and explore the town."
5. "Very relaxing for both kids and adults. A great experience for individuals with and without hearing loss."
6. "The idea of riding on a train and the opportunity to see the beautiful views from a train."
8. "The train ride itself was awesome! We enjoyed the "old time" adventure. The train was comfortable and roomy!"
9. "I liked that the kids were able to have the lights and really light up the train. The snacks were great and I had a great time."
10. "The train was very reasonable in cost."
11. "It was interesting, fun, and relaxing."
What did you dislike about YDHAT 2014 Train Ride Event?
2. "Nothing. It was wonderful."
3. "No air, generator problems, snacks were good."
4. "More interactions between all kids and parents - this will come once more activities are established and parents and kids get to know each other. Maybe icebreaker can help in which everyone is engaged on the ride in games." (Yes, this is a great idea! We hope to get more ideas from parents and others as we progress regarding activities, icebreakers, games and more.)
5. "I feel like the YDHAT train ride event should just be available for families of deaf and hard of hearing children. This is a great opportunity for these families to meet and visit. Also, it would be nice to be seated next to someone with similar hearing loss as my child so that we could share information as well." (We would like the train ride to include the majority of families of D/HH youth, but we do include youth with disabilities such as speech, and communication disorders, autism, intellectual disabilities, and to youth and families in the community.Priority is giving to Families of D/HH youth first. However, we do wish to focus on inclusion and sharing culture with others.
6. "Giving deaf/hard of hearing kids whistles on the train. Very loud for hearing people." (Yes, we will not include whistles as a toy item. It was very annoying and bothersome to hearing people)
7. "Van Buren needs to have more shops open...or a park for the kids to play."
8. "I guess there needs to be a better way to collect fees." (Yes, we are looking into a better system for group collection that would be more effective).
9. "I would like to see all the deaf kids sit with each other and for the parents to supervise them." (Yes, this was an issue and we would like to organize and implement a better strategy for this next time.)
Is there anything else you’d like to share about YDHAT 2014 Train Ride?
1. "No, everything was great!"
2. "Thank you for the gifts and making our children feel special. Thank you for your generosity and kindness."
3. "The generator issues was a problem, no air was a bad thing and made us uncomfortable at times."
4. "The ride was amazing and the experience will be remembered forever."
5. "Can we have another one later this year?" (YDHAT will ask for a Fall Train Ride in October for Disability Awareness Month. We will let you know of the outcome.)
6. "Wewould like to see more people go."